Australia did its part for the global monoculture in 2016.
The top 10 videos watched by the nation during the year were heavily American and heavily banal. The list, announced by YouTube Wednesday, was dominated by The Late Late Show with James Corden‘s infamous “Carpool Karaoke” segment.
Corden’s clip with Adele topped the list overall, but Aussies could not get enough of the late night host belting tunes with Jennifer Lopez, Sia and First Lady Michelle Obama as well. Yeah, Sia is Australian, but barely.
The only two homegrown clips in the top 10 were by the comedy YouTube channel Superwog as well as radio station Triple J’s “Like a Version” cover session, which saw American artist, Halsey, cover an American singer, Justin Bieber. So, points for effort?
All together, the world watched Australia’s top trending videos close to 1 billion times.
Listen Australia: There are some great local YouTube channels that deserve your views. Try Natalie Tran’s Community Channel, Jackson O’Doherty’s comedy skits, YouTuber MyChonny or The Pastel‘s tips for makeup and life.
But in case you want to do your best to ensure Australia becomes the 51st state of America, here is your Australian top 10.
1. Adele Carpool Karaoke
2. HUGE EGGS SURPRISE TOYS CHALLENGE
3. Jennifer Lopez Carpool Karaoke
4. Sia Carpool Karaoke
5. Ice Cube, Kevin Hart And Conan Help A Student Driver, CONAN on TBS
6. Parent Teacher Interviews, Superwog
7. Boogie Storm make Simons dream come true!, Britains Got Talent 2016
8. Halsey covers Justin Bieber’s “Love Yourself” for triple j’s Like A Version
9. First Lady Michelle Obama Carpool Karaoke
10. Does Elsa Eat Too Much?
UPDATE: Dec. 7, 2016, 3:18 p.m. AEDT Added Google’s global views number.